The Importance of Reading Aloud to Your Child

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_custom_heading text=”The Importance of Reading Aloud to Your Child” font_container=”tag:h2|text_align:left|color:%23704825″ google_fonts=”font_family:Salsa%3Aregular|font_style:400%20regular%3A400%3Anormal”][vc_column_text]The power of reading aloud to children should not be underrated. Parents should make reading aloud to children on a daily basis a top priority. Reading aloud to children helps equip them with rich vocabulary; an advantage that is not experienced by children who are not read to. Apart from gaining larger vocabulary and learning how to read and write, reading aloud enables children to understand numerous world topics.

The following are some of the benefits of reading aloud to children:

  1. Knowledge and success

Reading aloud to children exposes them to adequate knowledge about different aspects of life. According to research by the American Academy of Pediatrics, reading aloud to children enhances their reading ability prior to joining elementary school. Besides, reading aloud to children equips them with the skills they require to start reading independently.

  1. Language Development

Most of the time when talking to children, parents use repetitive vocabulary. However, reading aloud to them exposes them to vocabulary on diverse topics. Hence, they learn words and phrases that they may not come across during their day to day lives. The more vocabulary and phrases they become conversant with, the more they develop language skills and fluency. These gained skills underscore the importance of reading aloud to children.

  1. Brain development

Reading to children influences their brain activities and exercises their imagination. Mem Fox (2008) argues that early childhood years are significant in a child’s development than it was realized before. During birth, a child’s brain is only 25% developed. Exposure to being fed, talked to and read to play a huge role in the development of the remaining 75%. Also, various areas of the brain associated with reading develop with exposure to being read to.

  1. Improved Concentration

Reading to a child regularly instils in them the ability to concentrate for long periods of time. Consequently, improved concentration helps them when they start schooling.

  1. Strengthening the Child-Parent Bond as well as sibling-sibling bond

Spending time with children during the read aloud sessions helps parents as well as older siblings to develop a special bond with their children and younger siblings respectively. Parents with busy life styles can utilize the reading session to relax together with and bond with their kids.[/vc_column_text][vc_custom_heading text=”When and What to Read to Children” font_container=”tag:h2|text_align:left|color:%23704825″ google_fonts=”font_family:Salsa%3Aregular|font_style:400%20regular%3A400%3Anormal”][vc_column_text]Children can be read to during bed time, at the park, in the car, among other places. Basically, children can be read aloud to at any time. Reading time should be treated as a special time; the environment should be quiet and comfortable.

There are so many books that a caregiver can read to children. Typically, children enjoy being read to books that entail rhyme and repetition. The book chosen should also be one that matches the child’s interests.

In addition to reading aloud to children, parents should engage them in singing and storytelling.

These activities together along with reading enable children to have fun![/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_custom_heading text=”References” font_container=”tag:h2|text_align:left|color:%23704825″ google_fonts=”font_family:Salsa%3Aregular|font_style:400%20regular%3A400%3Anormal”][vc_column_text]American Academy of Pediatrics. (2017). Reading with children starting in infancy gives lasting literacy boost: Shared book-reading that begins soon after birth may translate into higher language and vocabulary skills before elementary school. ScienceDaily. Retrieved from

Fox, M. (2008). Reading magic: Why reading aloud to our children will change their lives forever. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Koralek, D. (2003). Reading aloud with children of all ages. National Association for the Education of Young Children.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Add your thoughts

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *